Pages

4/11/2011

Everlasting

This gives a whole new meaning to the term, "mending fences."

I left up the 2” white non-electric strapping on my arena for the first time this past winter. Today I sewed together two ends where the nylon thread I used (fishing line) had come out. Still, I think I will keep removing the strapping every fall to put it back up in the spring, like I usually do.

After fence mending I took Dream out into the soccer field for a little lunging: walking and “hoe” to start. He did fine. When we went around to the right he needed more encouragement. From what I’ve read, most OTTB’s work better to the left.

After ending at a good point to the right, I walked Dream to a different part of the field and gave him the ‘command’ to graze. I want him to know he has to wait for permission to put his head down. We work in a halter a lot, so this eases things.

Grazing consists of scouring the grass for the earliest green he can find. But I know he appreciated it.

I had mentioned an article I want to share. Remember Secretariat’s big heart? You’ve probably already heard about this, but here’s an article on what some people call the X-factor, or large Thoroughbred hearts.

Dreamport’s Grandsire Seattle Slew is mentioned on the list of horses that carried this beneficial mutation. All of our TB’s go back to the horses mentioned later in the article.

Here is my favorite picture from Norwich University, the Library:





Eclipse and Snap, Regulus 2x


2 comments:

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

If you're working with Dream and talking about grazing then things must be looking up in the frozen north. Thank goodness the weather's not "everlasting" ;)

Linda said...

I like that you give a command before they graze. Smart. Interesting about the X factor, too. I'll read more.