Pages

12/30/2010

Work Out

What do you get your boys for Christmas which also benefits your strengthening goals? 

Thank You Santa!
What am I doing in my morning workout, to add to my exercise routine?

Nautilus! 
~~~~ 
Is riding your horse a work out? Do you work out to ride your horse? I thought that Dreamer would be good exercise for me, which he most definitely has been. But I also found out that to be the rider he needs, I needed to increase my core strength and aerobic fitness.

(I joke that soon when I get into the saddle, Dream is going to turn his neck and look at me and say, “You been working out?”)

I like core strengthening exercises that I’ve been combining with weight training. I feel they make me more strongly balanced, which can only be an added benefit for horseback riding.

Many have probably seen this:  Pilates for Dressage

 Also, here is an interesting web page with a surprising number of kcalories reported burned in not just our riding, but in the everyday care of our horse(s).

Fitness is made up of three things: strength, endurance (training your heart as a muscle), and flexibility (doing your stretches). An exercise life should include all three.

____________________________

On a different note, do you know what the  difference is between my Breyer 2010 Thoroughbred ornament and the original?

I’ve painted a blaze on the chestnut! This horse already had Dreamer’s two white back socks, so all I had to do was add a blaze to make him nearly identical. Thanks go to my husband for this thoughtful gift.
____________________________


Also, a while back Juliette did a post asking if our horses remind us of any animals. It has stuck in my head. In the spirit of the New Year’s Day Parade, (which I will miss) here are the animals I often see when I take care of Dream and his little black mare (Ebony)…

When Dream lies down, he is without a doubt a camel.

May 2007 just a few weeks after coming to us




When he surfs over the top of the partition wall separating the grain room from himself, with just partition wire and his big back all I can see, he is cresting like a whale.



When we are doing ground work and he’s distracted, he is a dragon all lit up:




When the boys watch Jurassic Park and I go out to feed the barn, he looks nothing less than a huge herbivore, no smaller to me than the dinosaurs I just saw:






And of course, Ebony can only be one thing, especially since eating more than her share of hay. She is a big, round, fat for the winter black bear. 


Ebony Spring 2009
   

Happy New Year~!


Work Out, 1994

8 comments:

Dreaming said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yup, you need to get after those pictures...but maybe not yet!
I always say that Doc is a Golden Retriever in a horse body, not because of his looks, but because he loves to be scritched on his face. When I stop, he gently puts his face back into my hands for more rubbing.
I accused Pippin of being Tigger-like because of hs bouncing. Pippin has an ADHD personality and reminds me of Tigger in that way.
Your customized ornament is beautiful!

Ashley said...

That ornament is beautiful!! And I love the picture of Dream laying down. Adorable :)

juliette said...

Love your new equipment! I, too, have been thinking of what it takes to get into pony riding shape. I think that I eat my way through our Florida vacation each year and arrive home fat and soft and then shiver and do horse work through January and February until I am mildly fit in the spring. I am a runner, but I haven't done Nautilus for years. You will get into good shape. I used to do the water buckets and have great arms, but now we are spoiled with Melanie, our farm helper. I am going to have to take back my bucket job from her to get back into shape!
The ornament is gorgeous! LOVE the blaze addition.
And Dream as a camel/dinosaur and Ebony as a black bear - too funny!!!

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

Great equipment - that should come in handy and looks like fun.

Happy New year - best wishes for 2011!

Once Upon an Equine said...

Beautiful ornament and very special that you added the blaze. I love Thoroughbreds. Had a couple a long time ago. Don't know if I'll ever have one again, but I will always have a special fondness for them.

I would love to have some work out equipment at home. No time to travel to a gym. Enjoy you Nautilus. It looks very nice.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I definitely view my riding as a workout, especially when I do some work without stirrups. Man, do my inside thighs burn! It's great for your core too. I've found that yoga is really helpful for riding too. It's improved my balance and my core strength. Your horse is beautiful by the way!

Linda said...

I have a friend who has a set of equipment like that and she got in darn good shape last year and has stayed fit ever since. She feels great and looks great on her horse. I'm doing the treadmill and some conditioning stuff--so I'm right with you!

Allison said...

Thanks Linda that is very encouraging~!