Pages

11/19/2010

Dream Weaver

I had the most unusual dream last night. Did you ever have a dream that you know is  more than a dream?

Kitty, the woman who trained me to ride/care for horses, was sitting in a room in a comfy chair. She told me she knew where my Misty (2nd horse) was. I became really excited and told her I wanted to buy her back. I became emotional. I told her how I could ride Misty anywhere.

(This is the thing I’m working on with Dream right now.)

She leaned back, looked at me, and said: 

“But Allison, you rode her everywhere-- 
that is why you could ride her anywhere.”

Hmmm.....

I felt horrible for a while, after I woke up and was thinking about Misty. Then I knew just what I had to do. I put my snow pants and sweater and coat on right over my pajamas and with boots and gloves (it’s snowing this morning) went out to the barn, beating even Caleb’s early morning haying of the horses.

our picnic table

I have to go away this weekend, but I wanted to groom Dreamer before I left. The rain two days ago made his coat nice and soft (they have in and out stalls into the pasture). I don’t know why he stands in the rain, but it washed the mud off him. He was in a wonderful mood. 

While brushing, I had a chance to realize how much this part of our relationship has grown. He does not really like to be touched. When he first came to us, he’d stomp his rear leg during brushing, swish his tail, and otherwise advertise his annoyance to me.

Today I was in his stall with him completely bare of halter/lead/not tied, with him eating his hay while I groomed. I have learned to curry and brush softer. He is so much calmer. I can feel that, in this, we have a relationship. He knows what I expect and what I do; I know his ticklish spots and what he might do.

At one point I looked at him and was caught by the surprise of seeing 100 horses that I 'know' (have read about), as sometimes happens when I look at him. I feel like I am looking back into the 1800’s, and further…I see them all: his pedigree.

At the same time, I smiled at seeing this big red soft fuzzy huge calm horse in my little Vermont pioneer barn. It is like having royalty stashed in your wood shed. It makes me laugh.

He is so beautiful, and out of place, yet he belongs here~ with us.

I can’t wait to get back from my trip and start riding again. We will keep making our ever increasing circles away from the barn. Last ride, I swear, he resisted when his nose was pointed toward home. I think he was ready for a little adventure.

If I want to go anywhere, I have to be willing to go everywhere. 

my Misty Morning
1982



(Remember the song? 1976)

4 comments:

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

Hmmm dreams are SO interesting!!! I love to diagnosis and see what I feel about them. Your Misty was beautiful :)

juliette said...

So wonderful and magical and prophetic! Misty was lovely - and is passing along her legacy to you and Dream. Tiny, tiny steps each day all add up to a far adventure. Don't rush him, a little more each day and you will be everywhere. If I go slow with the boys they give me a safe ride. How wonderful this dream you had! And yes, of course I remember Gary Wright's song, Dream Weaver! Have a safe trip.

allhorsestuff said...

Oh, I'm loving this post..Your DREAMS instructor's advise...makes totally perfect sence to me.

When I first got my mare, I just went out with her.
We were together, and if I needed to get off to acclimate her to something new..I required her to respect me on the ground, then I'd remount. I'd put her where I wanted her to stand, remount and we'd move on.
Now...she sides steps up tp anything I climb up on.

All off it, everything, little did I know, was training for anything!

.we after waiting for snow too, hope you can spend lots of time with your Dream soon!
And...follow that dream!

Scott Costa said...

That's so inspiring Allison. Riding, life really is like that, opening the door, trusting going. I hope and pray that you have wonderful rides and build many more memories as your grow the circles in your life. Cowboy Hubby.