Pages

4/02/2011

Taking Off

I am in New Jersey with our three oldest children (young men!) to see my nephew in a college play. Scott and our three youngest have care of the horses at home. We still have about 18 inches of crusty snow to melt, and ice on the path through the snow. There are other higher piles of snow in the fields, up to 48 inches.

I am trying out a web writing work-at-home job. The company owner lives 2 and a half miles from me, in our town. If it works out, I will at least defray our grain and bedding costs. Also, I have dedicated an hour each day to readying a children's book for submission to a publisher. This route, if successful, usually takes some years for income to appear-- so the other writing can supplement us right now.

The horses are really shedding now. I think that they shed out with or without our help. I don't mind taking the shedding grooming tools to their coats in order to help them. Yet it seems that one day, suddenly, they just "let go" of their coats, like taking off a jacket.

And underneath is a beautiful shiny spring horse! We are very fortunate that Ebony's coat (she is a true black) has never faded in the summer sun.

Well, I am going to go around and visit blogs now!

Taking Off, 1973
Nearco 2x, Teddy  
 

6 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

Yea Allison!
Glad that you got to get on the net! That would be terribly difficult for me(now that I'm so hooked) to be stunted from reading blogs and writing sometimes.

WOW, I am so amazed that you have SOOO many children...you are my hero with all you do! AND books and the other wonderful outlets of creativity~ you somehow find to put forth. You are blessed, and I am too, knowing you.
I hope that the childrens book flourishes and takes off!!How exciting to hand that to the world!

Yes, the horse's winter coats are blowing in the wind!! I love to see this...BUT-you still have snow too!

I sure wish I had my camera the other day..I was in the aisle with Wa mare, brushing away at her loosening haircoat. The wind was coming from behind us. The MANY piles of furry, hair clumps, they started to billow and roll down the aisle from behind my mare! They came rolling from between her legs and She- had this facinated look on her face, as she tilted her head downward to investigate visually...these furry globs- moving all around her like the sea foam lines at the coast she shys from, when they do the same under her hooves!
It was hilarious...she did not make one step nerviously...but was transfixed!
HA!

Well, Hope your Nephew's game was really great to see! And your man and the other 3 are having some fun too!
Be well girlie!
KK

allhorsestuff said...

HUH...blasted internet...I wanted to comment on the post below "Rescue me"..and it will NOT let me. So I am back up here, since this one would!

Yea...the horses at my stable are stir crazing a bit too...mine will do that startled bolting from the stall, and out down the paddock lane! She did at her other barn too.

Love the rearing twistintg photo of Ebony! Mine rears, almost every time she rolls..it's part of the "complete body/mind adjustment" they give themself!

Oh and the TB "Princequillo" Wa has in her background registry!

-Sending snow melt, warm thoughts you way! Mud soon..and I mean that in the best of ways!
KK

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

That's exciting about your writing opportunities! Good luck. :) I too am working on the side to help with horse expenses... should have an etsy store up and running any day now.

Hope you can see the ground soon!

Marsha Hubler said...

Allison!
Hi to another horse facts lover. I had horses but because of a bad back, no longer have any, and MAN DO I MISS THEM!
I ride vicariously in my 11 horse books. I see you're interested in writing/publishing. I'd love to help you.
Please contact me and visit my blogs. I have one to help writers:
www.marshahubler.wordpress.com
I have one for horse facts lovers:
www.horsefactsbymarshahubler.wordpress.com
And I have one to advertise our writers' conference here in central PA in October.
Marsha Hubler, best-selling author of the Keystone Stables Series

Linda said...

Congratulations on the job! I agree about horses shedding on their own. They rub it off in the grass and in their stalls. I find it everywhere. And, it does seem to happen almost over night.

Allison said...

Wow! I am happily overwhelmed by all these kind and encouraging comments! Thank you everybody!!

I will be posting this, but I may let the web writing go so that I can focus more on the children's books.

allhorsestuff: sorry for the trouble, I will check my settings to make sure my posts don't close for comments after a certain time.