Pages

4/25/2011

Happy Sunrise

Happy belated Resurrection Day, everyone! I had just enough time yesterday between visiting a local Christian church and putting the ham in to take a horse out. It was Ebony's 'day' (turn). I hoped for a better experience than one we'd had recently. That day was cloudy and windy. To read just about Ebony, skip to the bottom, because I have some family stuff to share.

This day was our first "good" one weather-wise in...weeks? We've had rain, snow, hail, and just on Saturday, 70 m.p.h. winds! My barn was creaking above and I sent Aislinn inside, praying as I finished my chores-- glad my horses can leave the barn whenever they like. But the 1840's post-and-beam construction still held. There must have been angels.

One happy guy Levi under that helmet
There is a new face in our family; it's mechanical: Levi has found his dream dirt-bike. He patiently (with encouragement in the patience department) looked and looked and it paid off: a brand new bike was being sold locally in his price range and even in the make and color of his preference! 

It is a 4-stroke, so it does not have that horrible We-Rrrrrr high pitch that some dirt bikes can have. It resonates on a low level and it purrs. Naturally this is important to me for the horses' sakes. Ok, for my own sake, too!

The horses have really paid no worried attention to it. Levi stops riding when we start, but yesterday Ebony walked right past the dirt bike on a lead rope and all was fine. The horses have also had the opportunity to watch Levi riding for a few days.

So now we are in the car (Saul), truck (Caleb), dirt bike (Levi) stage with our children and I really like it! It's fun to be so busy and functioning. Saul rounded up his four oldest brothers into wood and yard work yesterday. They left in Caleb's truck to return equipment. Fun, and a huge blessing.

Okay! So Ebony turned out to be extremely quiet and nicely adventurous! Aislinn and I groomed (and groomed, and groomed) her and set up cones in the soccer field. I rode her in a western Wintec. She spooked in place near the vegetable garden and row of blueberries. It's her least favorite place to go past. (Exactly where a panther can hide.)

We headed into the front yard, above the lower field and arena. She asked to go west toward the orchard and upper fields. We border with a cow pasture up there.

I said that's ok, let's go up there. I call it the "park." Caleb keeps in mowed around majestic pine trees. I have a special place in my heart for pines. My Grandma in New York state had a pine forest we would walk in...

We walked half way across, and then I cut the park in half and headed down the orchard toward home. Ebony asked to go back up and do the rest of the riding all the way around, so we did.

Pine limbs were down across our usual path. I watched my pony see a way clear and pick her way through the same path I'd have taken. Maybe I have the makings if a mature trail equine here?

Her early education always included trail work. I am really proud of her right now because she started out the day nervous, but she forgot about it quickly. 

I knew when we got back that it would be asking a lot for her to give Aislinn a lesson in the soccer field. Still, I had to ask. She was somewhat resistant and gave Aislinn some training in getting a horse going. Still, that is all part of the education!

I love quiet pony days.

Ebony had a ten minute grazing reward when her saddle was off. (She really does not need the calories any longer than that.) 

Meanwhile, Super Husband and Super Boys had cooked the ham and all the trimmings including the most delicious homemade rolls--in between taking turns riding the dirt bike!

I missed Scott's ride (dirt bike) and he missed mine (Ebony) so we had to laugh. Levi has agreed that I will ride his dirt bike and he will ride a horse in trade.

Now I have all week to catch up on everyone's wonderful blog writing! 

  
Nearco, Tourbillon, Hyperion
a Japanese horse

2 comments:

Linda said...

I just read Ebony's story. That is horrible!! I can't believe there are people like that in this world and that the police let them get away with so much. That is scary. I don't know what I would have done.

That motorcycle is really cool. It'll be fun to see you give it a try! Be careful!

Marsha Hubler said...

H'm, it would be interesting to see a noisy dirtbike and a horse "trotting" side by side.
My horses (from the past) would have launched me into the next county! :)
Marsha Hubler, author
www.marshahubler.com